An auto accident can be a traumatic event in and of itself, and the aftermath can often be just as stressful, if not more. Spinal injuries that can occur in a car crash are sometimes not immediately detected and the pain can surface weeks or even months after the event.
WHAT IF I WAS IN AN AUTO/CAR ACCIDENT ?
Unfortunately, studies show that most of us will be in an auto accident at some point in our lives. The only question remaining, is how bad will it be?
The following are important things to remember if you are involved in an auto accident:
1. Seek treatment as soon as possible.
If there is a chance you may be seriously hurt, you should go to the Emergency room at your local hospital. There they can rule out fractures and life threatening injuries.
2. If you are still experiencing pain and discomfort a few days to a couple weeks later, than you should come to our office to find out if you have any structural damage.
NOTE: The longer you wait after an accident to come to our office, typically the longer it takes to get you better.
3. Most auto insurance companies have what is called Med Pay. This means that your bills will be paid 100% up to a certain limit. Our office can check that for you.
4. If the accident was not your fault. The other party's auto insurance should cover your health care expenses in our office. We do all of the paperwork for you.
5. At the accident scene, get as much information on the other driver or drivers as possible. An accident report by Police is always helpful, but not required to have a case.
6. You should never settle with an insurance company before you have had us evaluate your injury for you. If you settle before your injury is fully resolved, you will be completely on your own and will have to pay out of pocket for your care.
7. Injuries sustained after a car accident if left untreated can lead to spinal degeneration and a host of other problems for years to come.
FINAL NOTE: We find that many people involved in an auto accident that WAS THEIR FAULT never get treatment. This tends to be due to the fear that their insurance will go up after a claim is filed. Many insurance companies will not raise your rates after 1 or even 2 accidents in the same year.
THE INJURIES SUSTAINED IN AN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT CAN CAUSE A HOST OF PROBLEMS FOR YEARS TO COME, OR EVEN THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO COME IN AND GET CHECKED.
Call our office today at 303-772-7337. WE CAN HELP YOU TAKE THE GUESS WORK OUT OF DEALING WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANIES!
Although whiplash is not always a result of an auto accident, it is one of the injuries which happens most often in this situation no matter how severe the crash impact. In some cases, patients who were hit from behind at a very low rate of speed may have injuries and pain just as severe or even worse than those that were hit at a high rate of speed. The very fast forward jerk of the neck and back that can occur upon impact can cause chronic back pain, neck pain and headaches.
829 Main St. Suite 6
Longmont, CO. 80501